samba-2.0.5-pre1 - PLEASE TEST

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thu Jul 15 20:20:55 GMT 1999

Cole, Timothy D. wrote:

>         Notice that the comment (which is from my original patch) indicates
> that the limits should be enforced on _modified_ bits.  The existing code in
> 2.0.5-pre1 will enforce the limits on all bits, whether or not they have
> been modified relative to the existing permissions.  I do not think the
> latter behavior is desirable.

I'm glad you posted those scenarios. I didn't understand
the objections before, now I do :-).

The reason I coded it up the way you saw is that is was
intuitive and worked the way the admin would intend and
in the same way as the other masks/force mode parameters
in Samba. The cases you quoted show that this may not be
exactly what was desired :-).

I'll make the change before the release. Only one more
thing. I don't suppose you want to send me the patch to
smb.conf.5.yo to *explain* how this works in an intuitive
way, do you ? :-) :-).

Cheers & thanks,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.