Joining an NT Domain

Mike Oswell oswell at xcert.com
Mon Jul 12 23:54:18 GMT 1999

Today when trying to join our local NT domain with a recent copy of the
CVS Head branch (07/07/1999), I ran into a bit of a problem.

It seems that when it tried to connect to the local PDC, it would run
through all possible servers and use whichever works first.  The problem
is that it attempted to connect to the local netbios name first, and
kicked out with an error saying something about a password loop.

I managed to get it going by manually entering my PDC into the source just
while joining the domain, but was wondering if others had run into the
same problem.

------ snip of smb.conf --------

[global]
        workgroup               = OURDOMAIN
        netbios name            = ntprint
        server string           = New Fileserver
        local master            = no
        security                = domain
        password server         = pdc-van bdc-van yared-nt
        hosts allow             = [ Our internal IP ranges ]
        name resolve order      = hosts bcast lmhosts wins
        load printers           = no
        printing                = bsd
        dns proxy               = yes
        encrypt passwords       = yes
        read prediction         = yes
        debug level             = 0
        socket options          = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        max log size            = 256
        log file                = /data/samba/var/samba.log
        username map            = /data/samba/lib/usermap.conf
        printcap name           = /etc/printcap
        lpq command             = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
        lprm command            = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        queuepause command      = /usr/sbin/lpc stop %p
        queueresume command     = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p
        browsable               = yes
        guest ok                = no

The problem appears to be in libsmb/clientgen.c in the 'while' loop on
line 2905.  The actual point of failure is on line 2928.

-----
Michael Oswell
Xcert International Inc.