Linux Platform [Was: This is *way* cool.]

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Jul 9 17:25:48 GMT 1999

It's still probably a hoax, but I called Amiga Inc. to ask.  I'm waiting
for a call back, or E'mail.  There are folks in the office in CA so I
imagine that they'd have fixed it by now.  If it were true, then the QNX
Amiga site would probably shut down.  Amiga.Org have picked up the story
as well.  I think it will be quite interesting to see how this plays out.

If it were true, the interesting thing about it would be that the new
Amiga would become the first OSS hardware platform.  That is, PCs were
designed to run MS-whatever, Sun, SGI, etc. all ship proprietary Unix
flavors.  The Amiga was going to ship with QNX (which is a cool, though
proprietary, OS).  If Amiga ships with Linux, that would make it fairly
unique.

...but it probably is a hoax.

...but they have not announced which processor they plan to use in the
new systems.  Anyone heard of a little startup called TransMeta?

This is just wild speculation, but geez it's fun.  ;)

Chris -)-----

--
             -- I have a shoehorn, the kind with teeth. --
                                  ---