DOMAIN<1B> vs DOMAIN<1D>

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Jul 2 14:40:35 GMT 1999

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> > 1b pdc / dmb
>
> This isn't clear.  Is <DOMAIN>#1B the ID of the Domain Master Browser
> *or* the PDC.

both.

> Yes, I understand that NT doesn't distiguish (well, mostly).  We do.
> Samba can be a DMB without being a PDC, so do we use 1B and does it not
> cause any trouble?

yes, as long as you don't expect to separate DMB and PDC functionality, by
expecting to have either two samba servers (one as dmb, other as pdc) or
one samba server and one nt (samba as dmb, nt as pdc) because they will
fight over who owns domain<1b>, and one of them will lose...

> I believe that 1B is DMB, so correct me if'n I've got my head up a walrus.

me too, and i know what you look like, chris, and i can say that you look
nothing like a walrus or any other creature.  except maybe an otter.

luke