fcntl locking test

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Thu Jul 1 15:21:06 GMT 1999

I haven't been able to build Samba 2.0.4b for the past few weeks now; I'm
not sure quite what's changed, but the fcntl locking test consistently
hangs.  (this is on an HP-UX 10.20 system)

After some painstaking debugging (sadly, HP-UX doesn't include an "strace"
that does what you would expect under Solaris or Linux), it looks like the
child spawned in the fcntl locking test blocks indefinitely in the system
call:

		/* check if a lock applies */
		ret = fcntl(fd,F_GETLK,&lock);

I have no idea why it would be doing this, and I badly need to do another
build of Samba.  I guess I can kluge the configure script to make the test
always succeed, but I'm really more interested in knowing what's wrong in
the first place.  Does anyone have any reasonable theories as to the
problem, at least?