Samba under high connection load (2.0.0)

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Sat Jan 30 15:42:23 GMT 1999

Bob Farmer wrote:

> I added the GDBM database support for both /etc/passwd and
> /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd on Friday and since then things are
> pretty lightning quick, authentication time dropped from around 1-2
> seconds to more like a hundredth of a second or less (from Samba's
> perspective).  It appears the main bottleneck previously was
> the reading of /etc/passwd, not smbpasswd...

Bob, I guessing you have a script to update the gdbm database
when /etc/passwd if changed.  Am I correct?

> What about a configuration option that makes Samba
> _only_ try usernames in all lowercase within Get_Pwnam()?
> Most people only use lowercase Unix usernames and this
> would probably speed things up to an acceptable level
> for most people even without the database support.

The lower case should be tried first and only attempt to lookup
mixed case user names if that fails.  At least that how I
remember it. I'm not looking at the code write now.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )