Samba 2.0 RedHat/PAM password troubles found and solved!

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 28 15:23:53 GMT 1999

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Dax Kelson wrote:

> Doesn't it follow that if I'm building from source and installing, I
> wouldn't have the RPM installed???

That's what I was saying ! I was just pointing out that it does come with
the RPM which is why only a small number of people are affected.

> It should be documented clearly I believe that if you are using PAM (and
> most do) that you need to have /etc/pam.d/samba.

Of course ! A test for it would be more useful either in the build or at
run time. What I was pointing out though was that the entire problem would
have been more obvious from syslog had PAM not been set to quiet mode.

John P.