Samba, nmbd, HA

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Thu Jan 28 13:13:06 GMT 1999

Nicolas Williams wrote:
> But in an HA setup, when one server fails and the other one takes over
> it's IP addresses and services, the NetBIOS identity of the failed
> server must also be passed to the remaining server.

	My limited understanding is that the "new" server
	needs to broadcast it's identity at startup time
	in order to "claim" its name (which samba does).

	If the name is a duplicate, the "name server"
	queries the previous holder of the name to see if it's
	still alive. If not, the new server gets the name.
	If not, it gets told to go away.

	In the above "name server" is a deliberately vague term.
	It's a WINS server, a browse master or an elephant playing
	the trombone: I don't know which (:-))

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com