smbclient and SSL support

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jan 26 09:49:35 GMT 1999

Hi folks,

at the moment, smbclient only gets information about what certificate to
present if needed and where its private key is from the smb.conf file.

This is very restrictive.

It seems to me that we should use a scheme like the following:

1. Check for a directory $HOME/.ssl which should contain things like cert and
   private key.  This directory should *NOT* be world or group writable, and
   if it is, refuse to use them.

   If these exist, set as default.

2. Check for command line parameters that override the cert and private keys.

   If available, use them

3. If no cert or key defined, use the values from the smb.conf file.

Comments please.

Next month I will look to implementing this in smbclient.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...