Solution to my own problem (hacked together) use if looks good

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Jan 22 13:37:28 GMT 1999

> >I suppose I should be updating the interfaces line in my smb.conf in that
> >case each time the IP changes.
>
> Samba should tie itself to an interface, not to an IP.  That's why it's
> *interfaces*, not IP's :-)

What I do (since 60+ Samba servers with a good proportion multi-homed) is have
a little perl script - which runs nightly and parses ifconfig (my environemnt
is Solaris 2.5.1) and if more than one non-loopback interface (ignoring
"sub-interfaces - is this Sun jargon?) generate a conf file that is included
in the main one.

The only snag I have found is that nmbd seems to have to be restarted to take
notice of this (Samba 1.9.18p10).  I am happy to reveal this script to anyone
- but it is quite easy to write :-).