Problems with SWAT, one resolved, one outstanding

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Jan 20 07:28:01 GMT 1999

Hi folks,

in writing up SWAT, I encountered the following problems.

For some reason, 2.0.0Beta4 SWAT would not allow me to create a new share.
It would modify existing shares, but every time I filled in the name of a
new share and clicked on New Share, I would get the same page back, with no
new share created.

This was on both a Red Hat 5.0 and 5.2 system. I upgraded to Samba 2.0.0,
the released version, and it now works.

However, in trying out the Password page, I notice:

1. It appears to only modify the smbpasswd file, unless you have ldap or
   nisplus defined ...

2. I cannot seem to add new users.  It that because I am not using encrypted
   passwords as yet?

It seems that swat calls the passdb stuff to do its dirty work.

How can nisplus support the things that seem to be needed by the passdb stuff.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...