Shared Memory size

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Wed Jan 13 17:31:49 GMT 1999

Peter Polkinghorne wrote:

> [I sent this to the Samba mailing list with no response on 7 jan 1999 - so
> reposting with added info here...]

Sorry - been busy with Saba 2.0.

> The shared mem size option is set to 102400 by default and change is
> discouraged:
>
> and John Blair's excellent book indicates it is a hacker option.

Not really.

> As far as I can see there is no other documentation on this option.

There's more in the 2.0 docs.

> However I have a server (used for software distribution) to 100+ NT clients
> and it clearly ran out of shared memory eg:
>
> Jan  7 14:55:37 cedar.brunel.ac.uk smbd[27486]: ERROR:set_share_mode shmops->
> shm_alloc fail!
> Jan  7 14:55:37 cedar.brunel.ac.uk smbd[27486]: ERROR shm_alloc : alloc of 56
> bytes failed
> Jan  7 14:55:37 cedar.brunel.ac.uk smbd[27486]: ERROR:set_share_mode shmops->
> shm_alloc fail!
> Jan  7 14:55:41 cedar.brunel.ac.uk smbd[28154]: PANIC ERROR:del_share_mode
> hash bucket 3 empty
>
> Can I just up the amount of shared memory?

Yes, just double it. That's what I do.

> Is there any guideline for amount consumed per oplock?

It depends upon how many open files there are and their
pathnames. You can see the size calculations in the shmem.c
code.

> I am running under Solaris 2.5.1 if that helps.
>
> EXTRA info: well I doubled the shared memory size to 200k & that works - have
> used 61% at a maximum at present - so may be docuemntation should change?

Yep, I'll check this for the 2.0 docs.

Thanks,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.