unix password sync problem in samba-2.0.0beta5

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mon Jan 11 18:20:55 GMT 1999

Todd Pfaff wrote:

> samba-2.0.0beta5
> built on Solaris 2.5 with gcc-2.7.2
> running on Solaris 2.5.1
>
> I'm trying to track down a problem I'm having using unix password sync in
> samba-2.0.0beta5.  I've noticed some funkiness with the SIGCLD handling in
> smbd/chgpasswd.c.  It seems that after an smbpasswd is run and unix
> password sync is being used, an smbd is left behind, rapidly spinning it
> wheels.  A truss of the process shows it stuck doing the following:

Yeah I changed the SIGCLD handling for beta5 as it was
incorrectly eating the process return value in the old
SIGCLD handler (that's what the new CatchChildLeaveStatus()
function is for).

Can you run with debug level 10 and check what the forked
child is doing. It should just run the password sync program
then exit (and the SIGCLD should be caught by the parent).

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.