unix password sync problem in samba-2.0.0beta5

Todd Pfaff todd at edge.cis.McMaster.CA
Mon Jan 11 17:21:12 GMT 1999

samba-2.0.0beta5
built on Solaris 2.5 with gcc-2.7.2
running on Solaris 2.5.1

I'm trying to track down a problem I'm having using unix password sync in
samba-2.0.0beta5.  I've noticed some funkiness with the SIGCLD handling in
smbd/chgpasswd.c.  It seems that after an smbpasswd is run and unix
password sync is being used, an smbd is left behind, rapidly spinning it
wheels.  A truss of the process shows it stuck doing the following:

sigaction(SIGCLD, 0xEFFFE5F8, 0x00000000)       = 0
setcontext(0xEFFFE7D8)
    Received signal #18, SIGCLD [caught]
sigaction(SIGCLD, 0xEFFFE5F8, 0x00000000)       = 0
setcontext(0xEFFFE7D8)
    Received signal #18, SIGCLD [caught]

I'm looking at the code in smbd/chgpasswd.c and lib/signal.c to try and
figure out what the problem is, but I thought I should report this in case
it has already been fixed, or so others could investigate before 2.0.0
is released.

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \