Troubling Problems: Samba Simply Not Working?

Dan "Effugas" Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Tue Jan 12 11:26:53 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Tridgell <tridge at samba.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <samba-technical at samba.org>
Date: Monday, January 11, 1999 3:12 AM
Subject: Re: Troubling Problems: Samba Simply Not Working?

>> [1999/01/10 23:22:13, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(191)
>>   write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = Broken pipe
>
>To track down problems like that you will have to reach for a
>sniffer. Either MS NetMon or tcpdump-smb (or snoop, and use the snoop
>-> cap converter)
>
>When looking at the sniffer logs keep an open mind. There have been
>some classic bugs in the past that kill connections to Unix boxes in
>just this manner while the bug is actually in two totally unrelated
>boxes that aren't even using the Samba server (I'm referring in
>particular to the NT sniper bug)
>
>Trying to track down problems like this without a sniffer is almost
>impossible.

NT Sniper Bug from the Olde Ages of NT?  Hurm :-)

I'll pop up some sniffers and post what I find.  Yah, real suspicious that
this all happened on a specific day.  If I can hunt down the NT boy who is
doing this to me...

Of course, our network has some *funky* stuff on it.  We don't have switched
hubs, but somehow(and this is weird) it is impossible to sniff other users'
traffic.  It all shows up as bad packets if it isn't addressed to you.  Now,
I thought it was just Windows till I went through four different Linux
distributions and three different network cards--my error count when
promiscuous mode is enabled went through the roof :-)  Linux has no error
type detection best I can tell, either...

Siiiigh