Your password expires today message

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Sat Jan 2 17:07:54 GMT 1999

Happy New Year (so I'm a little late...sorry).

I found the problem with the latest HEAD branch code where
logging into a NT machine in a Samba controlled domain
result in the message

	"Your password expires today.  Would you like to
	change it?"

It really has to do with the

	sam_passwd->pass_must_change_time

variable.  During the process of locating the problem, there
seems to be a problem in general dealing with times in the smb portion
of the passdb API.  Didn't look at the NIS+ or LDAP
parts.  A simple solution is to set this field to

	time()+3628800
               ^^^^^^^

(42 days is the NT default I think)

The lib/util_pwdb.c:pwdb_get_last_set_time() functionalways
returns 0xffffffff for the time because the string pointer
the password entry is not in the correct location.

If I remember right, a pointer contents can be changed
in a function but not the location to which it is referring.  Obviously
this can be done internally to a
function but the pointer address will not be changed after
returning from the function.

lib/util_pwdb.c:pwdb_decode_acct_ctrl() interates through
some characters in the password entry and then returns
and the getsmbfilepwent() acts like the *p (the character
pointer to the password entry) has been changed.

So when it tries to check lib/util_pwdb.c:pwdb_get_last_set_time(),
the pointer is still sitting on the beginning of the account type
information (i.e. [U       ]).

So i have another question....Do the other account options for
smbpasswd work.  Things like X (for no expire on password) and
others.  I know 'D' does.

The whole point of the post is that I see the bug but was
asking how to fix a solution into the larger picture.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )