OS/2 extended attributes

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Feb 23 18:06:04 GMT 1999

Yes, this scheme has been described dozens of times before.  The problem
is that these stored attributes are not part of the filesystem, so they
are not automatically handled whenever someone messes with the native OS.

That is, I can be logged on to my Unix system and move files, directories,
etc. around.  The Unix system will have *no idea* that is supposed to move
the attributes stored in the database.  This messes things up.

The way to fix this is to include these attributes in the filesystem
itself.  All access will then be done via the filesystem, and the
attributes will travel with the files.  The only problem here is that
attributes will be lost if you transfer a file to a filesystem that
doesn't support them (eg., from an NTFS filesystem to a DOS floppy).

Chris -)-----