OS/2 extended attributes

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Feb 23 16:59:28 GMT 1999

Markus,

Novell owns the filesystem space on the server and can add features
whenever they want.  Samba runs on a wide variety of Unix platforms (and
other platforms too).  If I understand correctly (which would be unusual),
the OS/2 extended attributes are stored in the OS/2 filesystem.  In this
regard, Samba is at the mercy of the local filesystem.  If there is
nowhere to store these attributes, then we can't store them.

I'm sure someone else on the list will correct me if I'm off the mark on
this.  I do know that there are filesystems developed or being developed
for various Unix platforms which do have space for things like ACLs.  I
believe that there is some work being done to allow Samba to make use of
those features, if they are available.

Chris -)-----