out of disk space problem was:Re: SERIOUS BUG:......

Stefan Nehlsen stn at techfak.uni-kiel.de
Tue Feb 23 09:45:09 GMT 1999

> Stefan Nehlsen wrote:
> > If smbd is writing to a file and there is no more disk space available,
> > smbd reports an error to the client and the file is truncated.
> > I think this is normal unix behaviour, but it's not compatible to
> > windows users.
>
> 	What does Windows assume?   Certainly not that it can continue
> 	to write past the end of the disk (;-))
>
> 	When I overfill a floppy on my wife's machine, the last file present
> 	is the last one which fit...  is this what you're referring to?

That is what happens when I use the copy command to copy single
files to a samba share.

It seems that the client is sending an unlink command for the file
when a write error happens. If you get a write error while overwriting
an existing file it will be deleted and frees disk space for files copied
later.

That is not really what you want :-)

I couldn't reproduce the problem with truncated files until I started
copying a lot of files a once using the copy command with wildcards.

The client tried to copy each file to the full share and there where less
error messages than filenames displayed.

After that the share contained a lot of empty files.

I had this problems with the following 2 configurations:

		client			server
at work		NT 4.0 WS SP3		Samba 1.9.18p3 on Solaris 2.5.1
at home		NT 4.0 WS SP4		Samba 2.0.2 on Linux 2.0.36

The only difference was that Linux ext2fs is reporting a wrong filesize
of truncated files.

> 	If so, and assuming identical clients, there may be a difference
> 	in what NT reports to the client versis Samba... can you capture
> 	the differening netwrok sessions, perchance? If so, you'll
> 	probably want to mail them in as a bug report via
> 	 http://us1.samba.org/samba/bugreports.html

I am not able to do this at the moment.

cu, Stefan