AIX 3.x problems

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Fri Feb 19 18:33:23 GMT 1999

Hi all,

	People running AIX 3.x and 4.1.x have reported
problems with smbd always running as root.

Samba 1.9.18pX contained code to treat AIX as a trapdoor
setuid system and used a (non-portable) setuidx call
to achieve the correct setuid behaviour.

Samba 2.0.x should detect this problem (via the trapdoor
autoconf test) and use a varient of code that calls setuidx
instead of set[res]uid - but this detection appears to
be failing on AIX 3.x and 4.1.x systems.

So, if you are running these systems and have the smbd
running as root problems, please could you send me the
output of your configure script (when run as root) to
samba-bugs at samba.org so I can start fixing the problem.

Unfortunately the Samba Team don't have access to an
AIX 3.x or 4.1.x system - IBM were kind enough to donate
an AIX system for us to test on - but naturally enough
this is running 4.2 (their latest release).

I'd like to get this fixed before I ship Samba 2.0.3,
so help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.