domain_client_validate() in smbd/password.c

Ken Weaverling weave at hopi.dtcc.edu
Thu Feb 18 00:42:30 GMT 1999

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Nicolas Williams wrote:

> I don't understand your reply. Does it mean that Samba currently does
> not have code to deal with domain trusts even when it's configured to be
> just an SMB server and not a PDC/BDC?

Don't make this more complicated than it has to be. Forget trust, trust me
instead! :)

Take a simple PC that is NOT a member of a domain, but just in a simple
WORKGROUP.  It will not authenticate to a Samba box in server=domain mode
if it is not a member of that domain. The WORKGROUP is just a collection
of PCs out there, not a member of any DOMAIN.

To fix those, I'd have to join those PCs into a DOMAIN that samba
validates to, and that also means purchase of a client-access license and
I'm too cheap to do that if I don't have to.

So I just hacked the code to ignore the DOMAIN/WORKGROUP of the client PC
and it now validates just fine. Works for me. Wow, the wonders of open
source software. Gotta love it! :)

I guess the design goal here is to make Samba as close to an NT server
clone as possible, including duplicating its limitations too?!?!?! ;-)

(Please excuse my cockiness and most likely ignorance...)

--
Ken Weaverling  (weave @ dtcc.edu)  WHOIS: KJW
 Manager of Computer Support and Applications