Quibbles re WINS

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Feb 8 19:30:06 GMT 1999

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> I asked
> > >       Did you mean client or server?
>
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote
> > > nmbd-as-a-wins-server.
> > not a good idea, trust me.
>
> 	Ok, I certainly believe you, but could you give the list a hint
> 	about why?  It's highy counter-intuitive

if you have cache coherency problems due to registration of netbios names
getting out of sync across a duplicated back-end (e.g ldap) it will be
exacerbated by nmbd cacheing.

let's say that you have dhcp feeding the ldap database on one host, it
duplicates to another.  you switch off and on again, you get a new ip from
dhcp, it replicates to the other ldap server but you cached it.

let's say that you switched off rather than shut down, that means that a
"netbios de-registration" will never occur, that means that the other ldap
server never knows the name has been de-registered, nmbd never gets
informed, it caches the old ip.

result: users of the other ldap server via nmbd get the wrong ip.

this is just one example of a potential horrible situation.  not having
nmbd wins server cacheing eliminates a source of potential problems.

luke