PPP stuff

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sun Feb 7 23:38:13 GMT 1999

gerry,

what is missing here is the resolution of the workgroup<1d> name.  the
setup you are seeing is similar to that of a lonely win-client sitting on
a broadcast-isolated tcp subnet in its own workgroup.

the resolution of the workroup<1d> name is done only by broadcast.  as PPP
clients are set up as point-to-point netbios clients, this fails.

there are two solutions, one listed below: make the win-client a member of
a domain or workgroup which has a PDC, and then the resolution of
workgroup<1b>, which is resolved either by broadcast (which fails) or by
unicast to wins server (which succeeds), will allow your lonely ppp client
to see other members of the workgroup.

solution to is to use a "netbios datagram distributor" which samba does
not do.  this will proxy-forward udp-138 datagrams to and from the lonely
ppp client and the rest of the network.

luke