runaway smbd in samba-2.0.1

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.McMaster.CA
Sat Feb 6 22:28:28 GMT 1999

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> waitpid should only return < 0 on error according to my man
> pages - the only possibility is getting :
>
>  ECHILD  if the process specified in pid does not exist or is not a child of the calling process.

the solaris 2.5 man page for waitpid() says:

RETURN VALUES
     If waitpid() returns because the status of a  child  process
     is  available,  this  function  returns a value equal to the
     process  ID  of  the  child  process  for  which  status  is
     reported.   If  waitpid()  returns  due to the delivery of a
     signal to the calling process, a value of -1 is returned and
     errno  is  set  to EINTR.  If this function was invoked with
     WNOHANG set in options, it has at least  one  child  process
     specified  by  pid  for  which  status is not available, and
     status is not available for any process specified by pid,  a
     value  of  0  is  returned.   Otherwise,  a  value  of -1 is
     returned, and errno is set to indicate the error.

ERRORS
     waitpid() will fail if one or more of the following is true:

     ECHILD         The process or process group specified by pid
                    does  not exist or is not a child of the cal-
                    ling process or can never be  in  the  states
                    specified by options.

     EINTR          waitpid() was interrupted due to the  receipt
                    of a signal sent by the calling process.

     EINVAL         An invalid value was specified for options.

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \