smbclient //host/service/directory ??

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Sat Feb 6 22:25:51 GMT 1999

Benjamin Kuit wrote:

> I seem to remember being able to do something like
>
> smbclient //host/service/dir
>
> However, this fails
<snip>
> For example, taking directly from the NTDOM FAQ, it recommends that
> instead of using //%N/%U/profile, one should do something like
> //%N/profile/%U
<snip>
> So is the NTDOM FAQ out of date :-), or was this a mistake?

Nope. it's correct.  You cannot perform a tree connect to
a directory contained with a share.  Youc an only perform
a tree connection request to a share such as \\host\service.

> Workaround of course is having
> logon path = \\%N\Profiles
> instead of
> logon path = \\%N\Profiles\%U
>
> and
>
> [Profiles]
>         path = <dir>/profiles/%U
>
> instead of
>
> [Profiles]
>         path = <dir>/profiles

This will work, but I have never had the need to do it.
What version of Samba are you runnign and what version
and service pack of NT clients?

jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )