Quibbles re WINS

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at wdr.com
Fri Feb 5 21:22:46 GMT 1999

Well, I believe that the plan is to have a DNS server which is
sub-ordinated to Active Directory (i.e. a DNS server which uses AD
[LDAP] as it's database), but that would be optional, allowing users to
use DNS servers that are not slaved to AD; if I remember correctly even
the MS DNS server that comes with NT5 could use regular zone files
instead of looking in AD if need be.

Active Directory clients (all NT5 systems, presumably) would use SRV DNS
resource records to find their Active Directory servers.

As for how clients actually register their hostname/IP address(es), that
I forget. I also fail to remember if MS was planning a WINS proxy server
that's slaved to AD... But I doubt NT5 uses NetBIOS for hostname
resolution anyways (though it may be an option).

I really should play with beta NT5 before talking about this anymore :/

Nico

Nico
--
Nicolas Williams	(x5220, Stamford, CT)