Filename and path length restrictions under Win95 and WinNT vs Samba

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Feb 5 22:35:32 GMT 1999

Hi folks,

I have been seeing file name restrictions under Win95 (and probably WinNT)
of the following sort:

   Max file name len   = 127/128 chars
   Max path len        = 255/256 chars

I simply used windows explorer to change names of files until I could not
increase the lenght of a file name, then went to my Samba server and
checked the lenght of the created file and or path with 'wc'.

However, I recall seeing someone's suggestion that Samba truncated these
things.

Can anyone give me the definitive values for the above?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...