Quibbles re WINS

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Fri Feb 5 14:52:41 GMT 1999

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> David Collier-Brown wrote:
> >
> >         Hmmn...
> >         Would using LDAP be a better thing to provide WINS replication
> >         than reverse-engineering a private protocol?

That was part of Luke's idea about implementing LDAP support in Samba !
Take a look on www.cifs.com, second workshop paper.

> Now that's a thought!  What about performance of table
> lookups since we have to respond within a given time
> frame (positive or negative), would an external table lookup
> such as an LDAP server be quick enough?

You would run an LDAP mirror on the Wins server. So the LDAP request would
be local to the machine.

Now my question: What Microsoft is doing in NT5 to replace the Wins
Service ? Dynamic hacked (or Microsoftized) DNS or Active Directory (aka
LDAP) ?

	J.F.