Some help with broadcasts through a Linux system

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Fri Feb 5 01:26:37 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To: Dan Kaminsky <effugas at best.com>
Cc: <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>; <samba-technical at samba.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 1999 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: Some help with broadcasts through a Linux system

>> Can't, but a code hack has been written by Richard last I checked.
>
>That would be cool to see

Heh, do you know of any open source apps that do *anything* with broadcast
packets?  I'd like to try my hand at patching the source to redir to move
255.255.255.255 packets around--might be a good lesson, I think.

>> Damn.  Smurfing really makes this rather useful technique almost
unusable...

>Not neccessarily. Suggested current practice - and eventually common 8) is
>that now traffic shaping is becoming deployed on big routers, PC's whatever
>that ICMP is limited to a small percentage (4 from memory) of traffic when
>there is other stuff that needs sending.

This would mitigate problems but not eliminate them.  Pretty much every
windows machine will respond to the contents of an nbtstat--fake repeated
requests from a victim IP, and poof...no ICMP involved either.

Of course, nbtstat gives a little less data than, say, 50K ping :-)