Browsing and passwords

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Feb 4 08:47:08 GMT 1999

I have seen some cases where I have been asked for a password in trying to
browse a system in network neighbour hood.

In looking at what is going on down at the SMB level, Win 95 is doing a
SessionSetup&X using my logon username and the password I logged on with.

So, clearly, if I do not have an account on the machine I am trying to
browse, I will have problems.

Is there any way to force all access to IPC$ to be via the guest account?
I have thought about map user etc, and wonder if this can be used to only
map to guest on password failures for IPC$ but not other shares?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...