Some help with broadcasts through a Linux system

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Wed Feb 3 17:06:48 GMT 1999

>i would discourage anyone from doing this.  use a WINS server instad.

Uhm, sorry, we don't always have power to control everybody else on the
network.  Sometimes it's a power thing, or a legacy thing, or whatnot, but
sometimes we can't force everybody else to use us for WINS services.

Furthermore, using WINS is saying that your server will never go down.  A
number of shops can't use WINS because for most of its history it was only
available on NT, and believe you me, NT goes down.  Even Samba WINS doesn't
yet have fault tolerance.

There are environments where netbios broadcasts, though somewhat noisy,
simply *work*.  Diff'rent Strokes, Diff'rent Folks.  This isn't like, say,
putting up a root user TFTP server :-)