Remote browse sync, etc

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Feb 3 16:39:15 GMT 1999

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been testing remote browse sync and remote announce, and after much
> wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes, I have got something
> working.
>
> I have a setup like this:
>

>    [Win95]            [Linux1]            [Linux2]
>       |     Net1       |    |     Net2        |
>       +----------------+    +-----------------+
>
> That is, linux1 is on two networks.
>
> All are in a workgroup/domain FOWLPLAY, and I have Linux2 configured to
> announce lots of names, and  doing a 'remote announce net1", while Linux1
> is doing a remote browse sync on Net2.

this is inadviseable.

> After stoping and starting Samba on Linux2, and making sure that Linux1
> wins all elections, I finaly got names to turn up in Linux1 so Win95 could
> see them
>
> Can anyone comment on my config?

yes.

use a wins server (doesn't matter what it is) and set up Linux1 as the
DMB.  then it doesn't matter which machine wins the browser elections on
either Net1 or Net2.

DMB functionality is provided *completely* independently of LMB
functionality.  the DMB in fact need not even win the LMB browser
elections.  if it does so, however, then it simply gains some local browse
list information that it would be handed by whoever else would be the LMB
and you save on some network traffic.