WINS replication

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Tue Feb 2 13:24:53 GMT 1999

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>   - Recovery.
>								  It
>     might be better to write transaction records (added this, removed
>     that, updated the other) to the wins.dat and rewrite it less
>     frequently.

	From a former life, journals are A Good Thing: my smarter
	colleagues synchronized multiple copies of my horrible kludgy
	database with each other by making them read each other's
	journals.  Timestamps gave us a weak ordering after
	some clock-skew estimation, and we never actually saw the
	expected race conditions when we suffered network partition.
	Turned out the changes had a natural locality of reference.

	I was **impressed**.

--dave c-b
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com