Samba Directory Services, was Re: take on future events

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Mon Feb 1 16:22:40 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at switchboard.net>
To: Dan Kaminsky <effugas at best.com>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <samba-technical at samba.org>
Sent: Monday, February 01, 1999 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: Samba Directory Services, was Re: take on future events

>> Services within the SMB system that already exists.  MS has given its
>> clients the ability to connect to multiple servers from a single director
>> using DFS, or Distributed File Systems.  The main flaw in the NT
>> implementation of this is that you can only run a single DFS off a given
>> host, and that the DFS's can only be one directory deep.  To illustrate:
>
>single point of failure and all that.

WINS *is* single point of failure, remember?  :-)  WINS server goes down,
there's nothing to replace it--that's what the other thread is all about.
What I'm saying here is, screw workgroups, they aren't configurable by the
server.  Lets allow arbitrary directories.

>dan, are you a programmer?  if so, can we dig out nigel william's code and
>hand it to you to take the hard-coded stuff and read from config file
>instead?

I'm a UI designer, slowly acquanting my self with the Samba source so I can
hack in the generic print queue support I need.  I wrote all the stuff at
http://doxpara.netpedia.net .

What does Nigel's code do?