take on future events

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Mon Feb 1 06:54:00 GMT 1999

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Greetings again! :-)
>
> So here's my take on future events as far as Samba
> is concerned.  Comments welcome.  This is a "Samba'a
> future" chapter in the book.
>
>    * LDAP support will continue (become official when?)
>      - the ability to interface with an external LDAP
>        server for Windows NT account information
>        (used only for PDC functionality?)

used only in security=user mode but NOT used in security=domain mode

There you're talking about standard LDAP support (compliant with RFC207)
We'll need in the future a second LDAP version, aka Active Directory
compatible.

>    * NIS+ support (anyone working on this now?)
>      - provide the same functionality as the LDAP
>        backend.  Also abale to get /etc/passwd
>        entries from NIS+ as well as smbpasswd info
>
>    * PDC development will continue (official in 2.1 maybe?)
>      TODO list
>         - trust relationships
>         - PDC <-> BDC replication (are we going to try to
>           do this?)
>         - writeable access to Samba account database via
>           NT graphical tools

Yep all of this.

>    * NT ACL support on Samba shares

Yep, it's on Jeremy's TODO list

>    * what about WINS replication (anyone interested
>      on working on this?)

is it really required ?

>    * How to handle NT5?
>      - Samba should be able to function as an NT4 PDC
>        and get NT5 clients to use the domain model,
>        but what about new NT5 features?  Any thoughts?

Which new NT2000 features ?

>    * True Windows NT printing support (spoolss pipe).

Give me 3 more weeks and I go back on it.

> Any other things that should be mentioned?

DFS support

	J.F.