take on future events
cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Mon Feb 1 02:53:00 GMT 1999
Greetings again! :-)
So here's my take on future events as far as Samba
is concerned. Comments welcome. This is a "Samba'a
future" chapter in the book.
* LDAP support will continue (become official when?)
- the ability to interface with an external LDAP
server for Windows NT account information
(used only for PDC functionality?)
* NIS+ support (anyone working on this now?)
- provide the same functionality as the LDAP
backend. Also abale to get /etc/passwd
entries from NIS+ as well as smbpasswd info
* PDC development will continue (official in 2.1 maybe?)
- trust relationships
- PDC <-> BDC replication (are we going to try to
- writeable access to Samba account database via
NT graphical tools
* NT ACL support on Samba shares
* what about WINS replication (anyone interested
on working on this?)
* How to handle NT5?
- Samba should be able to function as an NT4 PDC
and get NT5 clients to use the domain model,
but what about new NT5 features? Any thoughts?
* True Windows NT printing support (spoolss pipe).
Any other things that should be mentioned?
Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter
Engineering Network Services Auburn University
jerry at eng.auburn.edu http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw
"...a hundred billion castaways looking for a home."
- Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )
More information about the samba-technical