Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Todd Sabin tastas at home.com
Thu Dec 30 20:44:31 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org> writes:

> > > and what happens when you select a samba server in show-users from an NT
> > > workstation?
> > >
> > > yes, this is possible.
> > >

> > Only if the samba server is the DC (or trusted DC) of the machine
> > whose file you're manipulating.  Those are the only machines you can
> > show users from.  Which is as it should be, because those are the only
> > accounts that the machine can authenticate.  The GUI is smart enough
> > to limit your choices to those that actually make sense.
>
> are you sure?  and what a bout cacls.exe?

Yes, I'm sure (about the GUI); it's been true for years.  I don't know
about cacls.  Nothing stops you from putting bogus SIDs in ACLs at the
API level, so it's possible that cacls might let you do it.  If it
does, though, those ACEs would be total deadweight, as noone could
authenticate as one of those accounts.

Todd