Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Dec 30 20:21:03 GMT 1999

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > > It wil work in the same way that an NT server can cope with access from
> > > an account from another domain because the Samba server looks at the
> > > incoming name, not a SID.
> >
> > yes.
> >
> > this is something that _really_ bothers me.  i consider it to be
> > unacceptable, especially as there are perfectly good schemes to fix this
> > problem.
>
> Why does it bother you. It's the same thing that NT
> does in this case :-).
>
> Jeremy.

of course it damn well isn't!!! have you ever actually examined
SMBsesssetupX traffic from trusted domains?  i have, and the username,
domain name and password are _all_ passwd across.

to implement NTLMv2 correctly, i had to pass the NT client's username AND
domain name across, when received from the SMBsesssetupX request, because
it's used to calculate the HMAC_MD5 checksum on the NTv2 variable-length
password response.