Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Thu Dec 30 21:16:07 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> and what happens when you select a samba server in show-users from an NT
> workstation?

You get a list of the users for which that server is authoritative.

> select a local file on an NT wksta.  selcet sile security tab.  go to show
> users.  selct a remote samba server.  try granting a remote samba server's
> users permissions to access a file on the local NT wksta.
>
> or better, make that a group.
>
> then, selcet _aohter_ remote samba server, and do the same thing.

This is the same thing you would get with an NT member server.
What's the big deal.

> this results in such a messed up usage of stupidly created SIDs that i
> don't want to think or talk about it.  it's so stupid i can't believe you
> are still justifying restricting individual unix servers to one nt domain.

Tell me this. Why does NT restrict machines to be in one
domain if it is so simple to understand ? Now I know it looks
like I'm using the "NT doesn't do it, so we can't" argument
(which would be a fallacy), but what you are proposing it
simply :

"We *can* do this, so we *should*".

You make this assumption a lot :-).

Jeremy.