Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Dec 30 19:47:49 GMT 1999

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > the solution to this is a work-around.  what you must do is make sure that
> > even when you have the concept of domains, you must ensure that all
> > usernames (NT-space) are flat.  you _cannot_ allow this:
> >
> > DOMAIN1\fred
> > DOMAIN2\fred
> >
> Actually, this situation will cause all sorts of interesting problems in a
> PURE MICROSOFT environment.
>
> Much of Windows NT does not know the difference between the two accounts and
> will get them confused.

yes.  i know.  one person receives all the administrator printing
announcements.

> only one "fred" will be recognized in the WINS database, and will receive
> all messages directed to either "fred" account.

you either sweitch off the messaging service on your local workstation, or
you just live with it.

this affects only the messageing, but i am glad you brought it up.

we should not have to deal with the mess created by microsoft, and it's
only because of the flat WINS db system: ther are ways round that, such as
using scopes.