Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Thu Dec 30 19:32:38 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > Michael Stockman wrote:
> > >
> > > As far as I can see the algorithmic solution is good for all users
> > > samba accepts that belong to samba's SAM (implemted in smbpasswd,
> > > LDAP, NIS or whatever). However it seems to me that this is not the
> > > case when samba is supposed to accept users belonging to a remote SAM.
> >
> > What *exactly* do you mean by "accept". This is the crux of the
> > discussion. Currently Samba "accepts" logons by name. Samba only
> > accepts SIDs in ACL set requests. It currently doesn't accepts a
> > non-local SID  in an ACL set request, and I don't think it should.
>
> i know you don't.  means samba will never be fully nt-domain
> interoperable.

Well, in order for Samba to store a non-local SID in an
ACL set it must have some way to store it in the filesystem.

POSIX doesn't allow this.

If this is the problem that means "samba will never be fully nt-domain
interoperable" then I'm sorry, but I can't fix all the POSIX
systems in the world.

Jeremy.