Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Dec 30 08:00:23 GMT 1999

> > Because it makes mapping the Domain SID database to a POSIX
> > uid/gid database much easier. To put a UNIX box in more than
> > one domain complicates that mapping immensely.
>
> > Simple is good.
>
> Simple is not realistic in this case, though.
> The last couple of jobs I've worked at both used multiple
> domains - people using a server could be from any of them.

thank you.

if there's anyone else that feels this way, plese SAY SO.  if you don't,
samba will end up staying in the dark ages.

> BTW - here's a dumb question (kind of related via winbind)
>       is there an 8-character limitation to the getpwnam()
>       implementation?  IIRC, at least the passwd file has
>       this limit (in Linux).

yes, .  it's a pain.  it's something to have to consider / deal with.  or
just abandone the unix you're using and use another unix.

or use a mapping table to map NT names to <=8 unix usernames.

or restrict ann NT users to <=8 chars too.