Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Dec 30 07:15:40 GMT 1999

> > > int surs_sid2guid(surs_handle * handle, sid_t sid, posix_cred * pcred);
> > >
> > > The int result of the surs_sid2guid() function would be used to indicate
> > > success/failure+reason.
> >
> > This looks fine for winbind. I just don't want it in Samba.
>
> The idea is to make Samba use that API and for some external agent to
> provide it.
>
> If you agree with that then the argument is over. Luke can code in
> support for this API and someone else can code the API provider, outside
> the scope of Samba.

jeremy doesn't agree with it.  he doesn't want samba using SURS mapping
_at all_.  he thinks that if you put SURS mapping into winbind, pam_ntdom
and pam_smb and all other unix-compliant, nt-domain-compatible  systems
_except_ samba that you can somehow magically make samba nt-domain-aware.

actaully, that';s not true.  he doesn't want samba to be made "complex" by
mapping unix to more than one NT domain.  therefore, such things should
not be considered, and hacks and work-arounds considered instead.