Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Dec 29 22:03:33 GMT 1999

Nicolas Williams wrote:

> Ay! I have been looking at Samba 2.0.5a served shares from an NT4 host
> since Tuesday, but I never tried using an NT account from a different
> domain.

It wil work in the same way that an NT server can cope with access from
an account from another domain because the Samba server looks at the
incoming name, not a SID.

> This is bad. We've got this braindead multiple-NT domain situation here
> with an NT domain per-continent and we've been telling ppl that they'll
> be able to use Samba servers from other continents when we upgrade to
> Samba 2.x.x.

Yes, this will work.

> Ok, so the current algorythmic mapping will now definitely not satisfy
> the needs of the environment where I work.

I don't see why not. Whenever these users access files on
a Samba server they're doing it as a uid the Samba server
knows about, so what is the problem ? Yes if they look at
the ACLs on a file they will see users local to the Samba
server as entries, but that's exactly what the ACLs on the
Samba server represent.

Jeremy.