Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) ResolutionSystem

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at wdr.com
Tue Dec 28 21:20:27 GMT 1999

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 08:05:03AM +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > It cannot distinguish them because POSIX doesn't distinguish them.
> >
> > THERE ARE NO REMOTE USERS IN POSIX.
> >
> > My God luke, how many times do I have to shout this ? Last time
> > I mentioned this you agreed with me. Why are you bringing this
> > erroneous assumption up again ?
>
> because i understand that there are no remote users in posix.  i _do_
> agree with you.  i am not making any erroneous assumpions.
>
> what i am desperately trying to get you to appreciate is that we are
> making a really big mistake by mapping from remote SAM SID to real local
> POSIX uid and then to a different SAM SID.

Well, it's a little mistake. No security implications. It just looks
strange to the users.

Remember, the mapping of uids/gids->sids is there so that users can look
at and try to manipulate permissions on Unix files from their NT
clients. This requires that they be able to see a meaningful string in
the ACL editor on a Unix file; what they see now is fine: they see the
samba server's name, followed by '\' followed by the Unix user/groupname.

[...]
> think about this: why are we bothering to map uids to SIDS in ACLs,
> anyway, even with the 2.0.x scheme?  we can't do this, because, according
> to your own argument, the concept of "remote users" doesn't exist on a
> Unix system.  SIDs do not exist.  remote users do not exist.  therefore,
> we cannot even _create_ SIDs because they are meaningless to the Unix
> system that samba is implemented on.

Wellll, in NT you have the concept of local users: RIDs relative to
_host_ SIDs. A Samba server in security=domain mode is a domain member
with a host SID assigned to it. The Samba server can only create new
SIDs that are relative to its host SID. Mapping a uid/gid to a
domain-relative SID would require that you make damn sure that the
mapping is semantically correct. That's what you want to see done.

That's what I want as well, and I bet many others would like that too,
because maintaining this *nix-and-NT-are-totally-different attitude is
costly from a labor point of view.

Until you can guarantee that equivalency between a given *nix domain's
users/groups and a related NT domain you have to stick with Samba's
current approach to uid/gid->sid mapping.

There's no need to argue here. Keep the current system, add support for
externally provided mapoping solutions and you're set.

Nico

related financial instruments.