Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) Resolution System

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Dec 23 19:56:52 GMT 1999

The document also suggests:

>o       For each POSIX system that has a local password database (e.g.
>/etc/passwd for security and administrative reasons) and also a remote
>password database (e.g a NIS or NIS+ database), a separate SURS table
>MUST be associated with each.

However, at our installation we have machines with local password databases
which are only present for administrative reasons; the accounts present in
each of the local databases are equivalent, and all of the machines are part
of the same POSIX uid domain.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to clarify this
point?

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer