ksmbd

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Tue Dec 21 05:36:05 GMT 1999

>> Currently it was done on behalf of my employer so source is not available
>> at this time.  We'll see what develops as it gets closer to completion.
>
>> > 6)  When can we play with it ;-)
>> I don't know (yet).
>
> FYI: As soon as this code is in shipping product then
> the GPL will require that the source code changes be
> made available.
>
> Please ensure your employer understands this :-).

OK, I don't know if I made myself clear.  It is *not* a port of samba
to run in the linux kernel.  The smb code itself was written completely
from scratch.  It uses the fact that nmbd is running to deal with the
name lookup issues, but there is *no* code used (not even headers) from
samba.  It also builds *only* as a kernel module completely outside of
the kernel source tree.  It was a real pain to get the environment set
up, but this is what they wanted.  It doesn't fall under GPL until or
unless it is decided to do so.

TTFN - Guy