URGENT: REDHAT 6.1 STORES SAMBA PRIVATE FILES IN /etc

vorlon at netexpress.net vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Dec 20 22:32:10 GMT 1999

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Giulio Orsero wrote:

> Why doesn't redhat do something like
> /etc/samba
> /etc/samba/private

> with smb.conf in /etc/samba/smb.conf and so on?

> I had a caldera-samba-distribution where they did
> /etc/samba.d
> /etc/samba.d/private

This tends to be inconsistent with the layout of the /etc directory on
redhat systems; it's also not backwards-compatible with early Samba
versions which needed only one config file (smb.conf), which was therefore
naturally dumped directly to /etc.

So basically, RedHat doesn't use /etc/samba because there's been no
overwhelming reason for them to use it. :)

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer