URGENT: REDHAT 6.1 STORES SAMBA PRIVATE FILES IN /etc

Simon Murcott simonmu at optimation.co.nz
Mon Dec 20 22:19:52 GMT 1999

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 vorlon at netexpress.net wrote:

   I find this conclusion to be rather odd.  There are plenty of files in the
   /etc directory on all my RedHat systems which are only readable by root,
   the most notable being /etc/shadow.  Have you encountered real-world cases
   of users/admins changing the permissions on /etc/smbpasswd after it has
   been properly installed root-only, or are you extrapolating based on what
   you know of the intelligence of the average RedHat user? ;)

I think Luke does have a point. The thing with Redhat is that it is made
so goons can install it (please note that I am not saying that all ppl
who use redhat are goons, I use it myself sometimes :). This generally
means that mostly goons do install redhat.

What I am trying to say is that redhat by default should encourage good
administration for first time *nix users.

IMHO :P

Regards

Simon Murcott

   The bland leadeth the bland and they