Domain-Master-Browser will not work!

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Dec 20 14:16:31 GMT 1999

At 12:10 AM 12/21/99 +1100, giulioo at pobox.com wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:08:17 +1100, hai scritto:
>
>>On the same (ip broadcast) network with the DMB i can´t get DMB with a
>>broadcast query (1). [see below]
>>But if i´ll ask the wins server, he´ll send me the correct record/ info...
>>Do you know some reasons, when it´s not possible to act as DMB for
>>a workgroup? I read in the SAMBA-Book from O´Reilly, that there´s no
>>election for DMBs. So what can cause the problems?
>Don't know, maybe the wins server has not uptodate info, or there is
>another server which pretends to be it and they fight for it.
>try
>nmblookup -A 193.197.132.2
>to see if it tells you it has registered 1B.

The Domain Master Browser is not elected as such.

Under Windows, the PDC is the domain master browser, and it is usually the
Local Master Browser as well, but this function is subject to elections.

Under Samba, the two functions are separate, and you use

   domain master = yes

to specify that Samba should be a Domain Master Browser, while a
combination of OS level, local master and preferred master control whether
or not Samba becomes the local master browser.

At Samba 2.0.6, the default OS level is 20, unlike earlier versions where
it was 0.

>--
>giulioo at pobox.com

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course